Thursday, November 15, 2012

Eleven Lumberjacks Sign National Letters of Intent

Press Release

MUSKEGON, Michigan (November 14th) – The Muskegon Lumberjacks are proud to announce that eleven current players have officially signed their letters of intent on National Signing Day to play college hockey for their respective schools beginning in the 2013-14 season.
The players that have committed to the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA) for next season are Michigan Tech Huskies commits Tyler Heinonen and Chris Leibinger, Ferris State Bulldogs commit Chad McDonald, and Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks commit Carter Foguth.
“I am very excited for being given the opportunity to play hockey at the college level; the coaching staff and players at Minnesota State (Mankato) made me feel welcome and right at home,” said Foguth, who is in his third year with the Lumberjacks. “It has been a long journey for my family and I, and I am grateful to have received an immense amount of support from the Mervis family and the Muskegon Lumberjacks.”
In the Big Ten Conference starting next season, the Lumberjacks that have committed to Big Ten schools are Michigan Wolverines commit Max Shuart, Michigan State Spartans commit Joe Cox, and Minnesota Golden Gophers commit Mike Brodzinski.
“Picking Michigan was a no-brainer for me because I grew up a Wolverines fan and it’s close to home,” said Shuart, the Northville, Michigan native. “The great academics and strong winning tradition are the reasons why I chose to play my hockey in Ann Arbor.”
“I have been a Spartans fan my whole life, and I was excited to see Michigan State offer me a scholarship to play hockey there,” said Cox. “The academics and rising hockey program are the reasons why I chose to wear the green and white for the next four years.”
As we move along to the east coast, three Lumberjacks players have committed to play along the shores of the Atlantic, including two to the Hockey East Conference in Boston College commit and 2012 Minnesota Wild 4th Round draft pick Adam Gilmour and Northeastern Huskies commit William Messa. Out of the ECAC, you will find Princeton commit Ben Foster playing for the Tigers next season.
“Northeastern was a school that was always on my radar with their great hockey atmosphere, and it was a great fit for the way I play the game of hockey,” said Messa. “The school is close to where I played my high school hockey in Massachusetts so I can visit my friends more often.”
“I always wanted to go to a school with great academics and Princeton offers nothing but the best,” said Foster. “The Tigers have a great team in place to go along with a welcoming coaching staff; it is a great fit for my future in academics and hockey.”
Another conference evolving next season is the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC), and you will find Lumberjacks Defenseman Ben Storm lacing up the skates for the St. Cloud State Huskies.
“When I took my visit to Minnesota this past summer, the facilities and their latest additions were what caught my eye first,” said Storm. “The coaches made me feel right at home, and I believe that they can help mold me into a great defenseman so I can chase my National Hockey League dream.”
Due to conference realignment with the Big Ten Conference taking form next season, the breakdown of the Lumberjacks commits are as follows: four players to the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA); three to the Big Ten Conference; two to the Hockey East Conference; and one each to the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) and the newly-formed National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC).


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: