Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spurrell to Attend Minnesota-Duluth

Press Release

Sammy Spurrell has committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth beginning the 2013-2014 season.  The third year, 20 year old forward has been an outstanding Saint over his three seasons contributing offensively with 49 goals and 65 assists (114pts) in 148 regular season games.  He also added 16 points in 27 playoff games and earned an AJHL Championship in 2011 as a rookie with the team.  The Sherwood Park native will graduate this season and join the Bulldogs in the fall.  He is the second Saint player to commit to Minnesota-Duluth this season as Carson Soucy committed to the program earlier this season.  Spurrell is the 4th member of the Saints to earn a scholarship this season.

"I am very excited for the opportunity to go down there (Minnesota) next year, it has been a dream of mine for about 5 years now," says Spurrell.  It was harder than I anticipated but I just had to be patient and it finally came along. I had some injury trouble this year but I kept at it and was rewarded with a scholarship to Minnesota-Duluth.  I would like to thank my parents for all of their support through the years I would not be here today without them. I would also like to thank the Saints organization, they taught me a lot over the years and I wouldn't have this opportunity without them.

"Sammy is a tireless worker in regards to improving his game," proclaims Head Coach and General Manager Jason McKee. "We couldn't be happier to see Sammy moving on to play at the Division 1 level. Sam has the ability to change the game in a variety of ways which has included very timely scoring for the Saints throughout his career. We look forward to Sam's continued contributions through the 2013 playoff run.
(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: