Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Jensen Commits to Mercyhurst College

Press Release

The Tri-City Storm announced that defenseman Nate Jensen has accepted a scholarship to play at Mercyhurst College beginning in the 2010-11 season.

"I had a great campus visit a couple weeks ago, and I immediately felt like it was a place where I will fit in," said Jensen. "It's a team that pushes the puck and plays strong, which suits my style."

The 19-year-old native of Minnetonka, Minnesota has registered 13 points (3g, 10a) and a plus-three rating in 20 games for the Storm this season. He ranks tied for seventh among all USHL defenseman in scoring and has collected five assists over his past five games. It is the second USHL campaign for Jensen after playing 35 games for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders during the 2008-09 season.

Mercyhurst College is located in Erie, Pennsylvania and is a member of the Atlantic Hockey Association. Forward Ryan Misiak of the Sioux Falls Stampede is also committed to attend Mercyhurst following his USHL career.

"Mercyhurst is a great school, and I'm excited to go there and see what I can do to help leave my mark on the program," said Jensen

Nine former USHL players are on the roster for the Mercyhurst College Lakers this season; Ryan Raven (Chicago Steel), Patrick Goebel (Ohio Jr. Blue Jackets), Mike Gurtler (Indiana Ice), Derek Elliott (Des Moines Buccaneers), Grant Blakey (Indiana Ice), Phil Ginand (Tri-City Storm), Charlie Carkin (Tri-City Storm), Brandon Coccimiglio (Chicago Steel), and Max Strang (Sioux Falls Stampede).

Jensen's family has deep hockey roots. His father, David, played for the NHL's Hartford Whalers and Washington Capitals, and he was a member of the 1984 U.S. Olympic Team. David Jensen also is senior vice president of USA Hockey Magazine. Nate's uncle, Paul, played on the 1976 U.S. Olympic Team.

"This is an exciting time for me and my family," Nate Jensen said. "I've grown up around hockey, and it's always been my goal to make my family proud and play Division I hockey."

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: