Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Musketeers Forward Commits to Penn State University

Press Release

The Sioux City Musketeers are that forward David Goodwin has committed to play collegiate hockey at Penn State University following his USHL career.

“I’m thrilled about finalizing my commitment,” said Goodwin. “I took my visit and I liked the campus and coaching staff. I thought it would be pretty special playing in the Big Ten. That was certainly one of the big things with me being from the Midwest. It’s a good school and the coaches were awesome and really believed in me so that was huge.”

The 19-year old Goodwin is in his first season in Sioux City after being acquired in a trade from the Green Bay Gamblers on November 6th. The St. Louis, Missouri native has registered 15 points (8g, 7a) in 18 games played for the Musketeers while notching 25 points (12g, 13a) in 29 games played overall during the 2011-12 season. He currently sits tied for 16th in USHL scoring.

Goodwin was selected in the second round (25th overall) in the 2010 USHL Entry Draft by Green Bay and spent his first USHL season with the Gamblers. As a USHL rookie in 2010-11, he recorded 26 points (9g, 17a) and a plus-six rating in 57 games played with Green Bay. The forward also contributed five points (1g, 4a) and a plus-four rating in the playoffs to help the team reach the Clark Cup Final.

Goodwin, along with defenseman Andy Ryan, Dan Molenaar, and affiliate forward Jake Montgomery, all came to Sioux City in exchange for 2010-11 All-USHL defenseman Jordan Schmaltz in early November.

“We are very happy about David signing with Penn State,” said Musketeers Head Coach and General Manager Brett Larson. “I think he has shown during his short time here why we targeted him. He’s an excellent player, a smart player, and a winner.”

Penn State will officially become a Division I hockey program next season but will not play under the Big Ten Conference affiliation until 2013-14. That could affect Goodwin’s decision to stay in Sioux City for another season.

“They don’t go Big Ten until the following year so we’re going to figure out if I’m going to go next year or the following year,” said Goodwin. “But they said it’s up to me if I want to play all four of my years in the Big Ten.”

Goodwin joins Musketeers teammate Matt Skoff who made his commitment to Penn State earlier this season. Six other current USHL players are also committed to play hockey at the school; Zach Saar (Des Moines Buccaneers), Connor Varley (Des Moines Buccaneers), Mark Yanis (Muskegon Lumberjacks), Casey Bailey (Omaha Lancers), Kenny Brooks (Tri-City Storm), and Eamon McAdam (Waterloo Black Hawks).

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: