Saturday, March 17, 2012

MONARCHS INTRODUCE RYAN FREW AS HEAD COACH

Press Release

Hooksett, NH- The New Hampshire Junior Monarchs are pleased to announce the promotion of Ryan Frew current Head Coach and General Manager of the Jr. Monarchs Empire team, to the same position for the Eastern Junior Hockey League team. Frew will be taking over the reigns from longtime Coach Sean Tremblay who will be moving on to a new position outside of the organization. Tremblay just finished off a great run, winning his seventh EJHL Title, in ten seasons. We wish Coach Tremblay the best and appreciate and value his commitment to the Junior Monarchs organization over the last number of years.

With his departure, it opened the door for another long-time and extremely successful Junior Coach, Ryan Frew. Frew has been with the Empire club since the 2004-05 season. Frew will serve as the GM/Head Coach of the EJHL team and the Director of Junior Hockey Operations (which will include our EJHL, Empire, ESHL and EJHL-U16 entries).


Owner Dr. Rick Vega remarked, “Ryan has earned this position, no question, with the success he has brought to this program and his dedication to being a Monarch. When there became an opening with our EJ team, I knew we had our guy waiting in the wings.”

The Monarchs certainly do, Coach Frew has been tremendously successful since coming to coach with the Monarchs in 2003. His most recent success was a gold medal at the USA Hockey Junior National Championships and an Empire League Championship this year.

His placement of players to the College and Junior ‘A’ ranks is hardly rivaled in the Empire League and his work ethic and relationship with his players will only continue to push the Monarchs forward and maintain the highest level of integrity. Coach Frew has seen many of his players move onto to successful college careers. He also tackled the difficult task of developing Empire players until they were ready to make the jump to our Eastern Junior team, no small feat. Most notably players like Brice O’Connor (Maine), Ryan Randall (UNH), Brian Billett (BC) and Greg Burke (UNH and NHL Draft Pick of Washington Capitals), Frederick Wereen (1st Division Pro Sweden) to name a few, all played under the tutelage of Coach Frew. His teams have been one of the top Junior B programs in the country over the last eight seasons and have been a main-stay at the USA Hockey Junior Nationals. They have appeared in each of the last six National Tournaments.

Aside from this year’s National Title, Frew has led his team to the National final three other occasions, in addition , his teams been semi-finalists twice. With Frew at the helm, the Monarchs have won two Empire League Championships and a Regular Season Championship. This year’s team also won the USA Hockey Sportsmanship Award. He was named Hockey Night in Boston Coach of the Year for the 2009-10 and 2011-12 seasons. Frew has been selected as an Empire All-Star Coach in six of his eight seasons. He is very active in the Empire League day to day operations as well as serving on the ESHL management committee. Coach Frew was named a coach at last years USA Hockey Player Development Camp in Rochester, NY as well.

More importantly, has been his commitment to move players onto the next level. He has moved more than 100 players onto the Jr. ‘A’ and the college hockey ranks. Vega went on to add “We are very excited to have Coach Frew move into this position, he has done a great job with our Empire Program, starting it from the ground up, has been mentored by Coach Tremblay for the past eight seasons and he is a seasoned Junior Hockey coach, who has proven track record in our hockey family. He is the ultimate team player, we are looking forward to him carrying on the proud Monarchs tradition and helping the young men in our program move onto college hockey.”

Ryan Frew said, “I am very proud, honored, and extremely grateful to be named the next Head Coach of such a prestigious organization. Nobody will ever replace Sean Tremblay. He was a legend here, guys like that are not replaced. I am prepared to walk my own path; his shoes will never be filled. All I can do is continue to uphold the highest level of excellence and standards that he taught me during his tenure. I am prepared for this opportunity because of him. I owe him the greatest amount of gratitude, without him none of this would be possible. He was a great mentor of mine and I can say without doubt that I have worked for and learned from one of the very best. He and his family are very close to me and my family and that will not change just because we are on different benches now.”

With Frew moving on the EJHL team, the Junior Monarchs are happy to announce current Empire Assistant Coach Clint Edinger, as the Head Coach of the Empire team. Kevin Purdy, former Head Coach of the Monarchs ESHL and Assistant with our Empire team and Jeremy Vega, will be the Associate Head Coaches of the U-16 EJHL team. The ESHL team staff will be named shortly. Look for this position to be filled from the inside as well. The Monarchs organization shows a great deal of loyalty to its coaches, and believes in a “promote from within” line of thinking.

“I believe in the coaches we have in place below me, they are all ready to work together to make this the best program around. They are committed to the Monarchs family and are hardworking successful coaches. I am going to miss the Empire League…It was my baby from the beginning stages and it has come so far. It is in great hands with Coach Edinger and I plan on staying very involved with that team as well, I will remain General Manager and assist any way I can to keep that team successful. It is also going to be fun to watch our new U16 EJHL team take off as well. Our coaches in place there should also help that program grow in its early stages,” Frew said.

Frew also added, “I am very excited about this opportunity to Coach in the Eastern Junior Hockey League. I consider myself very lucky to work for one of the best owners in all of Junior Hockey. It was a no-brainer to accept the position. I love this organization. Monarchs hockey is a way of life for me. There are a lot of really good people here, it’s truly a family. This was a great fit for me and my own family. My wife Nanna is incredibly supportive, and my two young sons Quentin and Seamus are a big part of the Monarchs family already. I am committed to this organization and the long term agreement that Dr. Vega and I agreed to shows his confidence and commitment to me as well and that means a lot to me. I am looking forward to continuing this great tradition of success. There are many challenges to overcome in the months ahead and I look forward to meeting those challenges head on. I still have a lot to learn, I recognize that I am young and this will not always be easy at first, like everything in life when you take a step ahead there are things that must be learned by doing…it is my passion to succeed and I will work tirelessly to make sure that we don’t skip a step.”

Tryouts for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs EJHL team will be April 20-22 get more information and pre-register at http://www.nhjrmonarchs.com Players are asked to contact Ryan Frew at 603-270-1018 or email at ryfrew@yahoo.comfor more information.

Here is the Monarchs Coaching Staff:

Eastern Junior Hockey League

Head Coach- Ryan Frew

Assistant Coach- Frank Golden

Empire Junior Hockey League

Head Coach- Clint Edinger

EJHL Under 16

Associate Head Coach- Kevin Purdy

Associate Head Coach- Jeremy Vega

Assistant Coach- Clint Edinger

Eastern States Hockey League

TBA

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: