Sunday, March 3, 2013

IZMIRLIAN TO YALE

Press Release

Tyngsboro, MA- The Islanders Hockey Club and Eastern Junior Hockey League are proud to announce Chris Izmirlian’s commitment to Yale University for the fall of 2013. The Highland Beach, FL, native came to the Islanders after graduating from Westminster Prep last year.

“I am very thrilled with the opportunity to play for a tremendous school that offers the perfect mix of hockey and academic excellence. I am very grateful for the opportunity Coaches Allain, Gendron and Muse have offered me and I intend on making every minute count at Yale. A very special thanks to Coach Tremblay who gave me a tremendous opportunity to excel this year, and I couldn’t have done it without my teammates, a very special group of guys who have all become my brothers,” said Izmirlian. ”I also want to thank my billet parents Susan and Adam Jamieson as well as my billet brothers Mike Jamieson, John Jamieson and Austin Surowiec. They have opened their home, taken care of me and welcomed me in a way I will never forget.”

Since joining the Islanders, Izmirlian has played a large role in the team’s success, scoring 22 goals and adding 32 assists in 43 games.

The newest member of the Yale Bulldogs had nothing but gratitude for those who helped him achieve his goal of playing NCAA Division I hockey.

“A hockey player is not created overnight. There are a list of Coaches that I want to thank who have all had a part in shaping me into the player and person I am today. Right after I committed to Yale, they all came to mind and I want to thank Coaches Tim Joncas, Chris Kiene, Bill Bolton, Dave Roberts, Doug Messier, Mark Messier, Bob Howe, Jeff Chychrun and Vlad Cheremeta. I called most of them last night to tell them about Yale and the excitement they all expressed was overwhelming,” he noted.

Izmirlian continued, “Most of all I want to thank my family. None of this would have been possible without their sacrifice, both in time and money. A very special thanks to my Mom (Sonia) and Dad (Charles) for believing in my abilities and stressing that hockey and education go hand in hand. Finally, I want to thank my younger sisters Alexandra and Vanessa for the years of torture they’ve had to endure being dragged around to cold North American rinks. I love you guys!”

Yale competes in the ECAC Hockey League along with five other Ivy League schools and is considered one of the top academic institutions in the United States. The Bulldogs hockey team has won two ECAC tournament titles in the past five years and qualified for the NCAA tournament in 2009, 2010, and 2011.


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: