Friday, December 31, 2010

Nilan Nagy Commits to Holy Cross

Press Release

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – The Youngstown Phantoms and Head Coach Curtis Carr take great pride in announcing the commitment of defenseman Nilan Nagy to Holy Cross for the fall of 2011. Nagy becomes the eleventh Phantom on the current roster and the twelfth Phantom to secure a college commitment this season.

Nagy, a Canonsburg, PA native, has played 21 games during his rookie campaign in Youngstown. In those 21 games Nagy has tallied one goal and three assists (4pts) along with eight penalty minutes. Before coming to the USHL, Nagy played in the North American Hockey League with the Traverse City North Stars. In one season in the NAHL Nagy recorded one goal and 23 assists (24pts) in 56 games played.

“Holy Cross has been talking to me since the Fall Classic,” said Nagy. “They have kept up with me during the season and I recently had a chance to visit the school. After my visit I loved the program and I loved the atmosphere there. I knew it was the right fit for my college career.”

Nagy’s four points puts the six foot defenseman second in points among Phantoms blueliners. Nagy plans to study accounting once he arrives at Holy Cross.

“They liked my style of play,” said Nagy. “I play a more defensive minded style and I worry about things in my own end. The commitment takes the pressure off me but I still need to work hard and focus on the little things to help my team succeed.”
Nagy’s commitment is a bright spot as the Phantoms have struggled as of late. For Head Coach Curtis Carr this commitment is what the USHL focuses on.

“In the USHL we have two goals, win games and move players to the next level,” said Carr. “This commitment and our eleven other college commitments shows that we are developing our players for the next level of hockey.”

Nagy joins Waterloo forward Jake Youso as the second USHL player to commit to Holy Cross this season. Head Coach Curtis Carr feels that Nagy will be a perfect for Holy Cross and the Atlantic Hockey conference.

“Nilan is a very good, all around defenseman,” said Carr. “He makes simple, smart plays with the puck. He is a very dedicated young man who works hard both on and off the ice. He will be an asset and a staple at the Holy Cross program for the next four years.”

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: