Sunday, January 23, 2011

WILLOWS TO UNH

Press Release

Wayne, NJ - EJHL leading scorer, southern division all-star, and Hitmen team captain Matt Willows has accepted a scholarship to play at the University of New Hampshire for the fall of 2011. Willows, a two year EJHL veteran, finished the 2009-2010 season 5th in EJHL goals with 29 and was 10th in EJHL scoring with a 29-29-58 line. This season Willows has been on a torrid scoring pace with a 22-34-56 scoring line in just 31 games, good for tops in the EJHL.

"Matt is a tremendous player, and an even better person," commented coach Toby Harris. "After having an awesome season in 09-10 and gaining a ton of exposure, Willows received a lot of calls from competing leagues but he decided to stay the course and continue what he started here in the EJHL with the Hitmen. That is the reason why this signing is so special to the Hitmen. In this day and age of 'grass is greener' Willows loyalty and perseverance has paid off as Matt will suit up for one of the top programs in the country. I could not be happier for Matt and his family!"

After setting the New York state public school scoring record in 2008-2009 Willows decided to go south and don the Hitmen carolina blue.

"I am so happy I decided to play for the Hitmen," said Willows. "Coach Harris and Hunt have raised my level of play immensely since I arrived in Jersey. The off ice training, the attention to detail in practice, the game plans, have all prepared me for the next level. I can not thank the coaches, Mr Reiss and most of all my team mates for helping me on my journey." Willows went on to say, "I spoke with coach Borek back in 2007 so UNH has always been on the top of my list of schools. When they called me and offered, I could not commit fast enough. I really look forward to playing at UNH and taking my game to the next level. I would also like to thank my mom and dad for all the time that they have put in to me and my career, the sacrifices they have made, and affording me the opportunity to play here for the Hitmen."

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: