Monday, December 31, 2012

Alex Theriau Retires from Junior Hockey

Press Release

Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats Hockey Club has announced 20-year old defenceman Alex Theriau is retiring from junior hockey due to health concerns.

The Duncan, B.C. native underwent hip surgery in the off-season before joining the Pats November 14th.  Unfortunately, suiting up for 16 games with the Pats aggravated Theriau’s hip and will force Alex to end his junior career in order to heal and pursue professional and CIS opportunities next season.

“Obviously my injury with my hip, it hasn’t gone exactly how I planned.  I’ve been digressing the past few weeks and I spoke to Pat and said, ‘hey, I’m concerned about my health,’ and we made the decision from there,” says Alex Theriau.  “It was awesome,” continued Theriau about his time with the Pats.  “I came in not expecting to get a real look and I got a huge opportunity here which I am still extremely grateful for”

In his 16 games with Regina, Theriau picked up two goals and two assists to finish his WHL career with a total of 267 games played, 11 goals, 55 assists and 206 penalty minutes.  Initially entering the league with the Lethbridge Hurricanes, Theriau made stops in Everett and Medicine Hat before coming to the Pats.

 “Alex came to the Pats at a time when we were in need of veteran leadership on our blue-line and in our locker room.  His contributions were beyond our expectations and we couldn’t be happier with what Alex brought to the team,” says Pats GM Chad Lang.  “In his short time with the Pats, Alex displayed all of the qualities this organization aspires to uphold.  On behalf of the Pats, I want to wish him all of the best in his future endeavors.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: