Friday, November 14, 2008

Linkorama

Update 7pm: This morning in my Colin Jacobs story, I said the NTDP has signed players for next season that's false. David Fischer the Director of Media & Public Relations at USA Hockey informed me that they haven't signed Rocco Grimaldi, Vincent Trocheck and Robbie Russo. I apologize for this misinformation.

------------------------------------------------

The biggest news from Thursday night and early Friday morning is the National Team Development Program basically vetoing the Brandon Maxwell deal for this season. Maxwell won't be able to join the Spitfires this season. He did have an escape clause with the National Program but that's only in the summer.

I can see both sides. USA Hockey will be short a goalies and they can't just pick someone off the street mid season. At the same time why do you want someone in your locker room that doesn't want to play for you? He signed a contract but doesn't a parent have to sign as well if you are Under 18? Theses aren't professional players yet. If he suffered an injury, USA Hockey would of released him the second he asked for it. Last year they allowed Kelen Corkum go home after suffering a season ending injury.

I feel for Maxwell because I can see it now, after a bad game, some player will go after him because he feels Maxwell packed it in. I don't know Maxwell personally but every time he goes out it will affect his draft status. Warren Rychel took a shot at USA Hockey:

"If he doesn't want to play, I don't know why they won't let him go?" Spitfires general manager Warren Rychel said. "If a kid came into my office and said he didn't want to be a Spitfire, I would arrange a trade."There's not much we can do now if (USA Hockey) is going to play hardball.
Not letting Maxwell join the Spitfires looks bad for the NTDP. It makes them look like dictators and that might scare potential players away from the program. Just like this morning, USA Hockey has lost one player for next season.

In other OHL news, John Carlson has signed with the Washington Capitals. With the London Knights he has two goals and ten assists in 12 games. The Niagara Ice Dogs got Alex Pietrangelo back from the St. Louis Blues. With the Blues, he had one assist in eight games. I am a little surprised that they sent him back with Erik Johnson being out for the season.

I haven't been posting the latests college recruitment but Western College Hockey has the latest from the Midwest and the Western part of the country.

The Saskatchewan Hockey Association and Hockey Manitoba has named their roster for the World Under-17 Challenge.

That's My Take

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: