Friday, December 7, 2012

McKENNA HEADED TO ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE

Press Release

Hooksett, NH- The New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs are proud to announce that Steve McKenna (South Boston, MA) has committed to the University of Alabama Huntsville Chargers.  This should come as no surprise to anyone who has watched his game dramatically improve within a new role for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs this season.

McKenna, one of three returning players from last year’s Dineen Cup winning team was elated to make his commitment official said, “I would rank this as one of the biggest accomplishments in my life. I have been playing hockey as long as I can remember and have always dreamed of playing at a competitive college level. I am very excited to commit to UAH. The coaching staff welcomed me right from the start. I look forward to playing in such a big venue and competing against some great competition.”

He becomes the fourth Monarch to receive a NCAA Division One commitment this season.  It is an exciting time at UAH as well; strong rumors of a move to the WCHA have been more than local news.

Coach Frew offered up this about his Captains commitment, “Stevie earned this.  He is the heart and soul of this club.  This is a kid you want with you in the trenches. He's the toughest power forward in the league.  He makes space for the guys around him and has improved tremendously away from the puck.  He is as tough as they come, and plays with discipline.  He's mean, yet at the same time he is the nicest kid on the rink.  It's really nice for another one of our guys, who didn't have a deal in place coming into the season, earn a spot in a college room.  We are all extremely proud of him.”

Stevie had praise for the program as well, “I have to thank the entire Monarchs organization for allowing me this opportunity. We have one of the best owners in Rick Vega as well as two great coaches .They have really helped me showcase my abilities as a player. Coach Frew has been great. I can’t thank him enough for all of the hard work he has put into this team as well as the program. On the other hand, Coach Golden has been more than a coach to me these past two seasons. He offers advice and guidance to every player in the locker room. I could not have asked for a better situation here.

He went on to say, “I have been given more of an opportunity to showcase my offensive and defensive play on penalty kill and power play this year. My coaches believed in my leadership skills and I am grateful for this opportunity I have been given.”

McKenna added, “The Monarchs organization has had a successful past and I am very excited to lead this new team and this new phase into a successful future. It has been a privilege to be a Monarch. I will take the lessons I have been taught, the great advice I have been given and the skills I have learned as a player forward with me as I start my college career.”

Stevie is the son of Stephen and Roseanne McKenna from South Boston, MA.  He has a brother Brendan, and a sister Mary. 

McKenna remarked, “I want to thank both of my parents for giving me everything and more to get me to where I am now. They have sacrificed so much and I very grateful for everything they have done for me.”

Congratulations to the entire McKenna family.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: