Saturday, December 22, 2012

ROADRUNNER FORWARD COMMITS TO FERRIS STATE

Press Release

The Topeka RoadRunners are proud to announce first year forward Tyler Andrew has committed to play Division I college hockey for the Ferris State Bulldogs (CCHA). The commitment caps off an eventful week which also saw Andrew listed on the NHL’s Central Scouting Report.

The native of Bethel Park, PA, the 6’6”, 205 lb. forward is a notable presence on the ice, not just because of his physical stature but because of his ability to affect the game. He has adjusted quickly to the pace of Junior A hockey, putting up points (10 goals and 11 assists) at a rate just shy of a point per game. He also sports a solid plus 10 rating and has been a constant on the RoadRunners special teams. His head coach Scott Langer said, “Tyler's work ethic and upside is tremendous. We have put a ton of responsibility on him and he has embraced every bit of it.” He added, “Tyler has a big future and as an organization we are very proud of his commitment to play at Ferris State.”

Andrew started playing later than many of his teammates. “Around the age of 7 I just picked up a stick and started playing”, he recalled. ”No one in my family played, I just loved the game.” He developed quickly, leaving home to play for the Colorado Thunderbirds in the 2011-12 season. Joining the RoadRunners accelerated the process. “I could not be in the position I am now without playing in Topeka. Not just the coaching staff but everyone involved in the organization does a great job. I have matured as a player and as a person greatly in Topeka.”

While he has yet to officially declare his major, his preference is clear, with Business Administration his desired path. Choosing Ferris State was a relatively easy decision. “Ferris State caught my eye for a few reasons. One reason is their philosophy as a team and their coaching staff. I also love the system they run.” Andrew continued, “Another reason why I am attracted to Ferris is because of the Strength and Conditioning program they have. As a player i believe I need that aspect of my game improved most. Their Strength coach is second to none. Those are the main reasons why I am committing to be a Bulldog.”

He is quick to recognize those along the way who have helped him get to this point in his career.  “I would like to thank Coach (Scott) Langer for the time he has sacrificed to get me to this point. I could not have done it without him, and also Coach (Josh) Kamrass. Besides that I have a great appreciation for my old coaches Paul Depuydt, Ian MacClure, John Seymore, Ryan Herzog, Jeff Potter, Rick Boyd, Mike Gratton, and Francis Anzalone. My advisor, David Thomas has been a great help. I also would like to thank my billets, the Palumbos for housing me in Colorado, and my billet Carol Murrel for housing me here in Topeka. Besides hockey, I'd like to thank my parents, sister, and grandparents for supporting me throughout all these years. Last but not least I would like to thank my linemates Gaff (Sean Gaffney) and Sharks (Kyle Sharkey) for helping me reach my full potential this year, I could not have done this well without them.”

Andrew becomes the third RoadRunner on this year’s roster to cement their college plans, a list that includes Ross Luedtke (Air Force) and Sean Gaffney (Connecticut). Former RoadRunners to have played at Ferris State include Cody Chupp, Nate Hennig, Tommy Hill, and Nate Milam. Ferris State University is located in Big Rapids, MI, competes in the CCHA and has an enrollment of over 14,000. The ice rink (Robert L. Ewigleben Ice Arena) seats 2,493 and their head coach Bob Daniels is currently in his 20th season with the Bulldogs.


 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: