Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Jr. A Trappers head west to find their captain

Press Release

A member of the North Bay Junior ‘A’ Trappers organization made a special visit to the city of Calgary to deliver the “C” to the club’s new captain for the upcoming season.

Team president Chris Dawson delivered the jersey, in person, to returning defenceman Matt Weisensel at a park overlooking the Southern Alberta city late last week.

The 6’1”, 185 pound Calgary native registered 1 goal and added 10 assists totalling 11 points in 35 games last season with the Jr. ‘A’ Trappers.

“It means everything to me,” Weisensel said after putting on the Trappers jersey with the “C” stitched on it.”

“I’ve had a letter once or twice before but this is new and I’ve always looked forward to having it (the ‘C’). I saw myself as a leader last year and I really think I will own this and help the boys be the best they can be this year.”

“I think we have a good group of guys, especially some of the players returning, they have good hearts and good work ethic, I think we will have a great team and I’m excited to be back!”

Jr. ‘A’ Trappers Head Coach and General Manager Ian Swalucynski identified the smooth skating defender as captain material early in the off-season.

“He’s a leader in the room and a great role model for future Trappers in the community,” said Swalucynski.

“We are thrilled he wants to come back here and he sees this organization as a place that can help him acquire an NCAA Division I hockey scholarship.”

Weisensel joins returning signed forwards J.P. Kascsak, Jonathan Aubertin, Adam Marceau, Darnell Koosees, and rookies Jonathan Dionne and Travis Fernley.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: