Thursday, December 6, 2012

Black signs with Colgate

Press Release sent the World of Junior Hockey


Wayne, NJ - The Jersey Hitmen are proud to announce that assistant captain, Andrew Black, has accepted a scholarship to play at Colgate University next fall. Black, who finished the 2011-2012 EJHL regular season with a 20-22-42 scoring line in all 45 EJHL league games, was a dynamo in the post season leading the league in playoff scoring (6-6-12 in 6 post season games) and leading the Hitmen to the EJHL championship. This year, Black, has started very well posting a 14-14-28 scoring line, good for 7th in EJHL league scoring.
 
"Andrew is a class act," said coach Harris. "From the time he arrived in New Jersey through yesterday when he committed to Colgate, his demeanor and approach to the game never wavered. He is truly a 'diamond in the rough'. Coming from a small prep school in Shady Side Academy, to the EJHL, was a quite a jump for Andrew, but one he handled in stride. Andrew is truly the poster child for Hitmen hockey and our 'you work for what you get' philosophy. In the end, Andrew, had over a dozen division one opportunities, but really loved the coaching staff, sense of family and tradition at Colgate. Come September '13, red raider fans will be seeing a future captain hit the ice."
 
Harris continued, "In September 2011, Andrew started on the 4th line and had limited special teams time, 6 months later he was the 2012 EJHL playoff top scorer. Those are the type of guys you build your franchise around, those are the type of guys you root for. I am so proud of Andrew and this commitment for our organization. Coach Vaughn and Colgate University is getting a tremendous player and a top notch, character kid!"
 
Black centers the Hitmen's first line, flanked by University of Vermont recruit, and EJHL leading scorer, Brendan Bradley, and University of New Hampshire recruit, Jordan Masters. This line makes up on of the deadliest units in the EJHL and all of junior hockey.
 
"I am so happy to be committing to Colgate University today, its a dream come true," said Black. "After visiting Hamilton, NY, I knew Colgate was the place for me. Their academics, the community and their rich hockey tradition really impressed me and my family. After speaking with coach Lefebvre, coach Dexter and coach Vaughn, I was sold on becoming a red raider." Black continued, "this has been a long journey, their have been ups and downs, but I would not trade it for the world. Coach Harris and coach Hunt has been amazing. Everything they said would happened, happened, and there is no better feeling than seeing all your hard work pay off. The mutual trust they we had for one another, the work that they put into to me both on and off the ice, this has been a tremendous experience and I would not have changed anything. Along with thanking the Hitmen organization, coaches, Bobby Reiss (owner), Amanda Copolla (trainer), I would like to thank my teammates for everything that they did for me and all their support. Most of all, I would like to thank my parents, family and Mr Reich. Without their unwavering trust and belief in me as both a player and person, I would not have been able to this place in my life. I owe them everything. Thank you!"
 
Black becomes the 3rd Hitmen to commit division one in the past 6 days following line mate, Brendan Bradley (UVM '13) and follow center, Josh Henke (Maine '13). Black also becomes the lucky '13th' Hitmen to commit to a division one school this year and the 6th Hitman to commit to an ECAC school.


 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: