Friday, November 18, 2011

Ice Dogs forward Alec Hajdukovich commits to Alaska-Fairbanks

Press Release

The Fairbanks Ice Dogs of the North American Hockey League (NAHL) are pleased to announce that forward Alec Hajdukovich has committed to play NCAA Division I hockey for the University of Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks for the 2012-13 season.

This season under new head coach Trevor Stewart, Hajdukovich is thriving and on pace to eclipse his offensive numbers from last season, where he helped lead Fairbanks to their first ever Robertson Cup National Championship. Currently, Hajdukovich is tied for the league lead in goals with 16. He is also second in the NAHL in shots on goal with 97 and he is 3rd in scoring on the Ice Dogs roster with 22 points in 21 games played.

"I cannot tell you how much the Ice Dogs organization has helped me develop and achieve my goal of playing Division I hockey. I'd like to personally thank everyone involved with the team for all of the opportunities they have given me."

Hajdukovich, 20, is currently in his second season with the Ice Dogs in the NAHL. Prior to playing in the NAHL, Hajdukovich played in the North American Prospects Hockey League (PHL) for the California Titans under head coach Scott Yorkinson. "I'd like to thank all of my coaches growing up who helped me make this dream a reality, especially my California Titans 18U (PHL) coach Scott Yorkison, former Ice Dogs coach Josh Hauge, and longtime Ice Dogs GM Rob Proffitt."

Hajdukovich was particularly excited about the commitment in large part because the 5’10”, 175 lbs. forward is originally from Fairbanks, Alaska, and grew up idolizing the Nanooks program.

"It has always been my dream to wear the UAF jersey, and I don't think it will hit me until I am skating in my first game sporting the blue and gold," said Hajdukovich. "I think I can bring an offensive presence to the UAF line up. They have a lot of skilled forwards that can score right now and I am going to have to work hard to crack the line-up. I believe UAF is a good fit for me and this opportunity was just too good to pass up."

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: