Thursday, June 20, 2013

Wilkie Commits to IceDogs

Press Release

Niagara IceDogs Head Coach and General Manager Marty Williamson announced today that Zach Wilkie has committed to the IceDogs, entering into an OHL Standard Player Agreement with the club.

Wilkie was the IceDogs 2nd round pick, 29th overall, in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection and becomes the second player to commit to the IceDogs so far, joining 1st round pick Hayden McCool who committed to the IceDogs last month.

A 5'11", 162 lbs defenceman, Wilkie spent last season with the Toronto Jr. Canadiens, posting 7 goals and 15 assists for 22 points in 27 games.  A native of Villa Park, Illinois, Wilkie has been described as "a versatile defenceman that does a lot of things very well... He has a good shot and usually hits the net with it and rarely gets it blocked. Zach is a powerful skater - he has an explosive first couple of strides and has very good mobility in all four directions. Zach is a punishing defenceman in the corners, in front of the net and in open ice.  There isn't a hit he usually turns down."

Williamson is excited to have another one of the IceDogs top picks committed to the organization.

"I am thrilled to have Zach as an IceDog" said Williamson.  "We got Hayden (McCool) looked after last month and now to have Zach join him in entering his agreement, I am really happy.  We were really excited with our picks the day of the Priority Selection and having our top two selections taken care of is a great feeling.  I think Zach is going to be a key member of our defence core in the future and I look forward to having him in an IceDogs uniform for years to come."

The agreement is also a big step in the process for a very excited Wilkie.

"This is one of the best feelings in the world" said Wilkie. "This something I've wanted to get done ever since I heard my name being selected.  The IceDogs are a great organization and I'm excited to have committed to the team.  I can't wait to get started."

Before Wilkie gets started with the IceDogs, he has a summer of training planned.

"For the summer, I'm planning on going to the gym five days a week and being on the ice at least three times a week.  I just want to make sure I do everything I can to be ready for training camp in August."

The entire IceDogs organization would like to congratulate Zach on officially committing to the IceDogs and look forward to seeing him on the ice for training camp in August!

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: