Monday, August 24, 2009

First-rounder Goodrow signs with Troops

Press Release

BRAMPTON, Ont. – Barclay Goodrow, the Brampton Battalion’s first-round pick in the Ontario Hockey League’s Priority Selection in May, has signed with the club, it was announced Wednesday.

Left winger Goodrow, 16, was the 17th overall selection on May 2. A resident of Aurora, Ont., he scored 67 goals and earned 47 assists for 114 points in 71 games last season with the York Simcoe Express minor midgets.

“It’s really exciting to get everything done,” said Goodrow. “I’m really looking forward to getting started.”

Goodrow, six-foot-one and 211 pounds, took part in the Battalion’s orientation camp in late May. He said it gave him an idea of what he needed to work on over the summer.

“I think I’ve done what I needed to do. I think I’m stronger and fitter. I was working on my cardio every day and I’ve been working with a skating coach. I want to work hard in training camp and impress the coaches.”

Stan Butler, Battalion director of hockey operations and head coach, said he knows Goodrow is a dedicated athlete.

“I think he’s done a lot of the things he needed to do over the summer to have success here. He’s put in a lot of time in the weight room, and I think that will be beneficial to him down the road. He’s a big, strong kid and a smart hockey player. We’re excited about having him in our lineup.”

Goodrow attended a number of Battalion playoff games last season. He said he expects the longer season and higher calibre of play will be the biggest differences between minor hockey and major junior.

“The OHL season is a lot longer, and the players are a lot more talented. You have to play hard every night. In minor midget there were some weaker teams, so you might not have to be your best to win. In the OHL every team is pretty good.”

Goodrow is one of more than 40 players expected to attend the Battalion’s training camp, which opens next Wednesday.

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: