Thursday, August 20, 2009

Saginaw signs four

Press Release

The Saginaw Spirit Hockey Club are pleased to announce the signings of four new players - defenseman Matt Braun, goalie Tadeas Galansky, forward Garrett Ross and defenseman Frank Schumacher. All four were introduced amongst family and friends at the Saginaw Spirit Ticket and Merchandise Store Wednesday afternoon.

Defenseman Matt Braun signed with the Spirit following a season with the OHL Oakville Blades, where he accumulated 1 goal, 4 assists and 61 PIM in 27 games. The 92-born Mississauga, Ontario native was selected 70th overall by the Spirit in the 2008 OHL Priority Selection. Braun will be wearing number 44 for the Spirit.

"I am a big believer that hard work is what will get you far in life," stated Braun, "I'm more of a defensive player; stay at home D. I like to make simple plays and keep the puck out of the net when I'm on the ice"

The Spirit also added goalie Tadeas Galansky to the roster. The 92-born Czech native was selected 33rd overall by the Spirit in the 2009 CHL Import Draft . Galansky will wear number 1 for the Spirit.

Stated Galansky, 'I want to become a goalie for the Saginaw Spirit and stop the puck. I am looking forward to the upcoming season".

The Spirit also added two Victory Honda alumni in forward Garrett Ross and defenseman Frank Schumacher. Joining Ross and Schumacher at the signing were the staff of Victory Honda Hockey and their former coaches.

Ross joins the team as a free agent after being selected 17th overall by the USHL in their 2009 Futures Draft. The 92-born Dearborn, Michigan native spent the 2008-2009 season in Victory Honda's U18 program, accumulating 28 goals, 28 assists and 40 PIM in 46 games. Ross will be wearing number 5 for the Spirit.

"I'm the type of player that likes to make plays, score goals, and work hard at the same time," stated Ross, "I know Coach Watson will push me hard and get help me play to the best of my ability".

Victory Honda U18 Head Coach Sean Ortize feels that Ross is a tough kid. "Garret Ross was the leading scorer on our team as a 92. He's a very skilled player and a very competitive kid and that's what's going to help him continue to develop and grow".

Defenseman Frank Schumacher played in Victory Honda's U16 program last season, posting 9 goals, 10 assists and 63 PIM in 30 games. The 93-born Brighton, Michigan native was selected 130th overall in the 2009 OHL Priority Selection. Schumacher will wear number 27 for the Spirit.

Stated Schumacher, "I'm more of an offensive defenseman and I like to move the puck, score goals, and get points. My coaches were a big part of my development. They gave me a lot of confidence and continuously encourage me to work hard and do my best."

Victory Honda U16 Head Coach Tony Maci guided Schumacher last season. "Frank played last year as a defenseman and led our team in points as defenseman, which is hard to do at our level. I think he'll be a good fit for these guys year after year".

All four players are set to attend the Spirit's fall training camp, which starts on August 26.

(Nathan also is a writer for Maineiacs Post to Post and the Maine Hockey Journal. He can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: