Wednesday, June 5, 2013

MET All-Star Goalie Signs NAHL Tender

Press Release

GLEN ALLEN, VA – The Richmond Generals are pleased to announce that MJHL All-Star goaltender Yoshihiro Kuroiwa (’93 birth year/Sapporo, Japan) has signed a tender with the NAHL’s Odessa Jackalopes.  Kuroiwa was an All-MJHL Second Team selection and was a finalist for the MJHL Goaltender of the Year.

"Yoshi is one of the most athletic and quick goalies I have ever seen,” commented Richmond Head Coach R.C. Lyke.  “He has one of the best work ethics of any player I have ever coached and these attributes will take him far in his hockey career.  He is not only a top rate goaltender but an even better person.  I have no doubt that Yoshi will be a top goaltender in the NAHL next season and I look forward to watching him play and develop in Odessa.  I played a year of Pro hockey in Odessa and know the area very well.  Two of new coaches, Matt Cressman and Donnie Margettie, are former teammates of mine when I played in Odessa and they are both class acts and the kids will love playing for them.  Yoshi’s new goalie coach, Cody Campbell, is also a friend and I know Yoshi will be in excellent hands and well taken care there."

"The entire organization is excited to have Yoshi on board and in our program,” Campbell said.  “He is a very good goalie with high end skill and speed, but more importantly, he is a great kid.  I am looking forward to working with him on all aspects of goaltending and hope to help him grow both on and off the ice.  He has the potential to be a top goalie in the NAHL this season and I am excited to start working with him to achieve that goal as soon as possible."

"The coaching staff of the Richmond Generals really helped to develop my skills and prepare me to have the ability to get to the next level,” Kuroiwa said.  “The organization, the coaches, the owner, the fans, and my teammates were all so supportive all year long, making it such a great experience.  The Richmond Generals provide a great environment for you to learn and develop while also making you feel part of a family.  Anyone looking to advance their careers to the next level of junior, college, or pro hockey should really consider playing for the Generals. I would also like to give a special thanks to our goaltending coaches, Tom Hasenzahl and Dennis Bannon, who worked with me all year – they were fantastic! "

Kuroiwa joins teammate Eric Tien (’93 birth year/Midland, MI) in signing NAHL tenders for the upcoming season. 

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: