CALGARY, Alberta (November 25, 2013) – The AJHL's Fort McMurray Oil Barons - recently named host of the 2015 Crescent Point Energy Western Canada Cup - remain on top of the CJHL Top 20 Rankings. However, the Oil Barons are unable to shake the grasp of the Spruce Grove Saints, who remain hot on their heels in AJHL North Division. In the BCHL, the Powell River Kings had another strong week, Penticton is barely holding on to a Top 20 spot and the Victoria Grizzlies are into the CJHL Top 20 Rankings for the first time this season.
In the SJHL, the Yorkton Terriers had a very strong week and are joined in the rankings by the Humboldt Broncos who have secured an Honourable Mention. In the MJHL, the Steinbach Pistons had a great week, while the Portage Terriers did not fare so well in their MJHL games. The Selkirk Steelers remain steadfast in their quest for the top spot in the MJHL standings. The Fort Frances Lakers had a minor slip this week, but continue to dominate the SIJHL. Meanwhile, the Soo Thunderbirds are firmly in control of the NOJHL standings.
The East Division of the OJHL might be the most competitive division in the CJHL now with all five teams only two points apart. Look for this division to remain tight for the balance of the season. The Toronto Lakeshore Patriots and the Aurora Tigers both had strong weeks in their respective divisions. In the CCHL, the Carleton Place Canadiens have a commanding lead in the standings while the Pembroke Lumber Kings and the Smiths Falls Bears are battling it out for second place overall.
Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome have jumped into top spot in the LHJAAAQ, with a game in hand. In the MHL, the Weeks Crushers enter the Top 10, while the Dieppe Commandoes, who hold a strong lead in the Roger Meek division of the MHL, have also moved up in the Top 20.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (3)
3. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (6)
4. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (2)
5. Soo Thunderbirds (NOHL) (5)
6. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (4)
7. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (9)
8. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (15)
9. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (8)
10. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (11)
11. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (12)
12. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (13)
13. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (HM)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
15. Thunder Bay North Stars (SJHL) (16)
16. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (NR)
17. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (17)
18. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (19)
19. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (HM)
20. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Prince George Spruce Kings (BCHL), Brooks Bandits (AJHL), Humboldt Broncos (SJHL), Coburg Cougars (OJHL), Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL)
(Nathan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Terriers rally late to tie Providence, 2-2
38 minutes ago