Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Mason Bergh commits to Colorado College

Press Release

BENSENVILLE, Ill. (March 12th, 2014) – The Chicago Steel have announced that forward Mason Bergh has committed to play for Colorado College after the conclusion of his United States Hockey League career.

Bergh, who is in his first season with the Steel, has recorded 21 points (9g, 12a) in 48 games in 2013-14. The 6-foot, 161-pound native of Eden Prairie, Minn. was named the USHL CCM Forward of the Week for Feb. 10-16 following an impressive seven point weekend (4g, 3a).

Bergh said he was offered a scholarship last week by the Colorado College coaching staff and knew during his visit that he would be wearing the black and gold of the Tigers when his collegiate career begins.

“When I arrived on campus, I had the immediate feeling that this was the right place for me,” Bergh said.  “I love the area, I loved the coaching staff, the mountains are awesome and the campus is great.  To get a good education is very important and CC will provide that for me.

“I called my parents when I was out there visiting and told them how much I liked the school. They were very happy that I was going to commit to Colorado College.”

Bergh played for Eden Prairie High School last season, scoring 21 goals and tallying 17 assists in 25 games.  The Steel drafted him with the 21st overall pick in the 2013 USHL Entry Draft.

“We are very proud of Mason and excited that he will have the opportunity to continue his hockey career at Colorado College,” Steel head coach Scott McConnell said. “Mason has had a positive impact on our organization in his short time here in Chicago.  We look forward to further being a part of his development as a player and a young man in the next year and seeing him arrive in Colorado Springs with an equally positive impact there.”

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: