Thursday, March 13, 2014

Storm forward commits to Bentley University

Press Release

 The Tri-City Storm announced that forward Ryan McMurphy has committed to play NCAA Division I hockey at Bentley University beginning next season.

“I knew I wanted to go to a strong academic school,” McMurphy said.  “When Bentley called me I really enjoyed the fact that they have a great business school.  It’s a good spot for me.”

McMurphy has recorded 16 points (10g, 6a) through 48 games this season with the Storm.  He opened the season scoring a goal in each of the first two games for the Storm, including the lone tally in the 1-0 win against the Des Moines Buccaneers on October 5th.  The 19-year-old had a USHL career high three-point game (2g, 1a) on January 3rd in the 5-1 win against the Sioux Falls Stampede in which he scored his first shorthanded goal.  The native of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma is playing his second USHL season after appearing in 58 games last season with the Storm and recording eight points (2g, 6a).

“I think the goal for most youth hockey players is to be in the USHL because it’s the league that produces the most Division I scholarships,” McMurphy said.  “I think coming here to Tri-City definitely helped me to achieve my goal of playing D1.”

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: