The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League, in association with the Melfort Mustangs, is pleased to announce 2014 Induction Class for the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League Hall of Fame.
The SJHL Hall of Fame Weekend will include the Induction Dinner at the Northern Lights Palace on Friday July 25th, and a charity golf tournament on Saturday July 26th at the Melfort Golf and Country Club. Proceeds from the event will benefit Big Brothers and Sisters, KidSport and the Melfort Mustangs.
The Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League is pleased to welcome into the Hall of Fame Kevin Dickie, Brad Meier, Willie Mitchell, Brian Munz, Mark Odnokon, Rick Schultz, Neil Shewchuk, Leonard Strandberg and the 1995-96 Melfort Mustangs team.
More details, including sponsorship opportunities, will be announced in the upcoming weeks.
For interview requests with the 2014 SJHL Hall of Fame Class, please contact Branden Crowe at (306) 920-8077 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2014 SJHL HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES
Kevin Dickie – 1992 - 1996
- Head Coach of the Melfort Mustangs from 1992 – 1996
- Won 2 SJHL Championships and 1 Anavet Cup.
- All time record with the Mustangs: 151 – 83 –26
- Head Coach of the Saskatoon Blades (WHL), Regina Cougars (CIS), Acadia Axemen (CIS)
- Assistant Coach of Canada’s National Junior Team
- Currently the Athletic Director for Acadia University.
-Spent 12 years as an SJHL official
-Worked 3 seasons in the Western Hockey League
-Has worked as an NHL Official since 1999
-Was named to the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games Officiating crew
Willie Mitchell 1995 – 1997
- Played for the Melfort Mustangs from 1995 to 1997.
- Had 16 goals and 48 assists for 64 points in 83 SJHL games.
- Named the SJHL’s Top Defenseman in 1997 and to the SJHL’s 1st All Star Team.
- NCAA Scholarship to Clarkson University
- Drafted by the New Jersey Devils in 1996.
- Played for New Jersey, Minnesota, Dallas & Vancouver (NHL)
- Stanley Cup Champion with the 2011-2012 Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
- Currently plays for the Los Angeles Kings (NHL).
Brian Munz 1995 – 2000
- Radio Play by Play Voice of the Melfort Mustangs, Nipawin Hawks and Humboldt Broncos on 750 CJVR from 1995 – 2000.
- Radio Play by Play Voice of the 1996 Royal Bank Cup hosted in Melfort.
- Broadcasted 3 SJHL Championship Series
- Radio Play by Play Voice of the Tisdale Trojans (Saskatchewan Midget AAA), Saskatoon Hilltops (Prairie Junior Football), Prince Albert Raiders (WHL), Beardy’s Blackhawks (Saskatchewan Midget AAA), Edmonton Road Runners (AHL), Manitoba Moose (AHL)
- Radio Host of the Edmonton Oilers (NHL).
- TSN television Play by Play Voice of the 2012 Royal Bank Cup hosted in Humboldt
- Currently the Radio Play by Play Voice of the Winnipeg Jets (NHL) on TSN 1290.
- First Head Coach of the Melfort Mustangs franchise 1988 - 1990
- Played for the SJHL’s Prince Albert Raiders winning the Centennial Cup Championship in 1981 and 1982
- Attended the University of Minnesota Duluth
- Assistant Coach of the Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
- Scout for the Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
- Currently a teacher at Carlton Comprehensive High School in Prince Albert
- Founder of the LaRonge Ice Wolves (SJHL)
- Was a member of the Centennial Cup wining Prince Albert Raiders.
- Currently the Chairman of the SJHL’s Board of Directors
Neil Shewchuk 1980 – 2006
- Sports Director of CJVR AM & FM Radio Stations from 1980 – 2006.
- Radio Play by Play Voice of the Melfort Mustangs, Nipawin Hawks and Humboldt Broncos from 1986 to 2006.
- Broadcasted 6 SJHL Championship Series, 6 Anavet Cups and 1 Royal Bank Cup.
- Media Communications Co-Ordinator of the 1996 Royal Bank Cup hosted in Melfort.
- Radio Play by Play Voice of the Saskatoon Hilltops (Prairie Junior Football) and University of Saskatchewan Huskies (CIS Football).
- Currently the General Manager of XM 105 Radio in Whitecourt, Alberta.
Leonard Strandberg 1988 - 1996 & 2000 - 2002
- Founding figure who assisted in the purchase and move of the franchise from Lloydminster to Melfort.
- General Manager from 1988 to 1996 and 2000 until 2002.
- Won 2 SJHL Championships and 1 Anavet Cup.
- Member of the 1996 Royal Bank Cup Organizing Committee
- General Manager of Hockey Canada’s Team West for the Canadian Junior “A” Challenge Tournament
- General Manger of the OCN Blizzard and Swan Valley Stampeders (MJHL)
- Currently retired, but continues to volunteer and lend his knowledge to the Mustangs Board of Directors with fundraising and community events.
(Nathan can be reached at email@example.com)