Monday, March 3, 2014

Steelers' captain commits to University of Nebraska-Omaha

Press Release

The Selkirk Steelers are proud to announce that 19-year-old defenceman Joel Messner has accepted a scholarship to the University of Nebraska-Omaha(UNO).

Messner who is in his 3rd season with the Steelers will begin his collegiate career this fall where he will suit up for the Mavericks. UNO is an NCAA Division 1 program that plays in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference against the likes of University of North Dakota, University of Minnesota-Duluth, Western Michigan, amongst others. The Mavericks are led by legendary NCAA coach Dean Blais.

"Getting a scholarship is like a dream come true, it's very exciting and I couldn't be happier to be going to UNO. This whole experience has been great. I couldn't have done this without my coaches and my parents but most importantly my teammates who I owe a lot to. I will miss Selkirk and the great support the fans and community have shown me the past three seasons. I would like nothing more than to finish my time with the Steelers by winning a championship" says Joel Messner

Messner, who hails from Lorette, MB, has had a breakout season for the Steelers in 2013-14. He leads all defenceman in scoring in the MJHL with 9 goals and 43 assists, good for 52 points. The Steeler captain recently was named the MJHL Top Defenceman for 2013-14 season as well as a 1st team All Star. Messner prides himself in being an all around dman and this is reflected by his strong play in his own end and as well as his ability to rush the puck up offensively.

“ I am very proud of Joel. It has been a pleasure to see him develop over the past 3 years. He has matured on and off the ice.  Mess has been a true leader amongst our group this year. His attitude and work ethic are second to none. Joel continues to improve and I feel that UNO is getting themselves an excellent hockey player as well as a solid citizen. The entire Steeler organization would like to thank Joel for his 3 years and wish him all the best in Omaha this coming fall “ said Ryan Smith, Head Coach/GM of the Selkirk Steelers.

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: