Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ryan Berlin commits to Princeton University

Press Release

  The Whitecourt Wolverines are pleased to announce that Ryan Berlin ('94) has committed to Princeton University for the 2014-15 season. Founded in 1746 in Elizabeth as the “College of New Jersey”, Princeton is one of the nine Colonial Colleges established before the American Revolution as well as the fourth chartered institution of higher education in American colonies. The Princeton Tigers, which have a slogan of “Education through athletics…An unmatched tradition of athletic success”, are an NCAA Division I college team that are a member of the ECAC.

“Obviously it is a big accomplishment for me and I am really excited, I have played 4 years in AJHL and am looking forward to the next step in my career,” said Berlin.

When asked what he thinks he will bring to Princeton on the ice next season Berlin said, "I think I am going to bring the same game as I brought to Whitecourt. Throughout the summer I am going to continue to work out hopefully be a couple pounds heavier and adapt my game to become more of a power forward."

As the season winds down Berlin is seeing career highs in goals (28) and points (52) along with holding the franchise record for goals (51). Berlin started his career in the AJHL with the now defunct St. Albert Steel and came over to the Wolverines last season when the Steel relocated to Whitecourt. “I take with me what I learned from the coaching staff along with the entire organization as they run a very solid and professional organization out here and it has been a really good experience for me while here”.

“Moving here was the first time I had to have a billet family, I can’t say enough about my billet family as it has been one of the most memorable experiences of my career. Also the Centre of Excellence that was built here for the players to develop will make Whitecourt somewhere I will never forget," added Berlin.

Wolverines Head Coach / GM Joey Bouchard stated,“Ryan has made huge strides this season in developing his game into a complete player. He is a very versatile and talented player. He also possesses superior hockey sense that enables him to play in all key situations. We are very proud of Ryan’s accomplishments this season and have no doubt that he will be a great addition to the Tigers hockey program.”

The entire Wolverines organization would like to congratulate Ryan and his family on his selection of Princeton for his college experience and wish him all the best in his academics and athletics.

(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: