Saturday, October 1, 2011

BURNS CHOOSES WEST POINT

Press Release

Wayne, NJ - The Jersey Hitmen are proud to announce that RJ Burns has committed to United States Military Academy at West Point for the fall of 2012. Burns, who spent the past two seasons with the Empire Hitmen, chose the U.S.M.A over several division one suitors. Last season, Burns split his time between the Hitmen and Don Bosco Prep, where Burns lead the Gordon Conference in goals (29), assists (27) and points (56). On top of that, Burns was third on the Empire team with 39 points in 31 games and played in the Empire League All-Star game.

The Pearl River, NY native is very excited at the opportunities on the horizon.

"I am very excited to become a Black Knight," stated Burns. "I have talked to a good number of schools over the past two seasons, but I kept coming back to Army when weighing all the pros and cons. I love the staff, I love the facilities, it is close to home, and I am looking forward to the challenges ahead both on and off the ice." Burns went on to say, "I cannot thank the Hitmen (Coach Harris, Coach Hunt, Coach Barling and the Reiss Family) and Greg Toskos enough for all that they have done for me and my development. I know I still have a lot to learn, but I am ready for the challenges ahead. I trust that coach Harris and Hunt will continue to help me grow. I also want to thank both my mother and father and extended family for all the time and support that they have put into me and my career, I would not be here without them. Now that I have committed to West Point, I look forward to continuing to improve and help the Hitmen win another championship!"

Burns joins a 2011-2012 Hitmen alumni list as the eighth Division One commitment.

"I am very happy for RJ," commented coach Harris. "He has always been a great skater with a tremendous hockey IQ. I know that Army is getting a tireless worker with a lot of jump in his stride. I wish him all the best."

The Hitmen face off this weekend for a two game set against division foe, the South Shore Kings, at the Ice Vault. Saturday's puck drop is at 5:15pm, followed by an 11:15am Sunday contest. Both games will be featured on fast hockey this weekend as the voice of the Hitmen, Mike Sheehan, will follow all the action at www.fasthockey.com.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: