Thursday, October 25, 2012

Spruce Kings Defenceman Earns NCAA Division I Scholarship

Press Release

PRINCE GEORGE, BC – The Prince George Spruce Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) are proud to announce the scholarship commitment of Brad Ryan to the University of Vermont beginning with the 2013-14 season.

The University of Vermont is a NCAA Division I school located in Burlington Vermont with an enrollment of over 12,000 undergraduate, graduate and medical students.

"The entire Spruce Kings organization would like to congratulate Brad on this well deserved achievement," said Spruce Kings General Manager, Mike Hawes. "Brad is a tremendous young man and a very talented player who will do very well athletically and academically at a great school like Vermont."

The Catamounts mens hockey team plays out of the Hockey East Association and has produced some notable NHL talent. Alumni include Viktor Stalberg, Torrey Mitchell, Patrick Sharp, Martin St. Louis, Tim Thomas and John LeClair. Brad Ryan becomes the first member of the Spruce Kings to commit to the University of Vermont.

"My goal was to come out here (to Prince George) to get a scholarship," said Brad Ryan. "This takes a huge load off my shoulders and my parents. It gives me even more confidence in what I'm doing and I play better with confidence."

"Moving out here to play for the Spruce Kings is really working out well for me and the team is doing really well too," added Ryan. "I want to continue to contribute to the team that has given me this opportunity. I have been given an excellent opportunity in Prince George and want to thank the Spruce Kings organization for everything they’ve done for me."


(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: