Thursday, August 29, 2013

T-Birds sign Elder and Volcan

Press Release

KENT, August 29, 2013 — Seattle Thunderbirds general manager Russ Farwell today announced center Kaden Elder and left wing Nolan Volcan have both signed a WHL Standard Player Agreement.
“We are very happy to be adding these two players to the Thunderbirds,” said Farwell. “Both players bring high end skill, proven scoring, and leadership and this is a great day for our team. We are excited to have them on board.”

Both Elder and Volcan will play in the Everett Silvertips Preseason Tournament this coming weekend at Comcast Arena.

Elder, from Saskatoon, was the T-Birds second first round pick, 22nd overall, in the 2013 Bantam Draft. He played for the Notre Dame Hounds last season and had 64 points on 27 goals and 37 assists for 64 points.
“It is a huge honor to sign with the T-Birds,” said Elder. “Signing is just the beginning and this is a big first step in my hockey career. I feel I worked hard in rookie and main camp and this is something I know I will have to do to earn a spot on the team next season. I am looking forward to playing in the Everett tournament this weekend.”

Volcan, from Edmonton, was the T-Birds second round pick, 27th overall, in the 2013 Bantam Draft. He played for Edmonton MLAC Bantam AAA team last year and had 40 goals and 36 assists for 76 points in 32 games. Volcan is the son of former Seattle Breaker Marty Volcan.

“I think signing with the T-Birds a big step in my career,” said Volcan. “I thought rookie camp went well for me and I really like the facilities here. Playing at main camp against the size and speed of the returning veterans will really help me in my midget season this year. I am pretty happy to join an organization that my dad played for.”


 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: