Saturday, August 31, 2013

Warriors sophomore forward commits to Nanooks

Press Release

Less than a week into training camp, the Warriors are laying the groundwork for the future.

The first NCAA commitment of the 2013-14 season came on Monday, when Ambrose Firkus announced his intention to play for the University of Alaska Fairbanks.

The second-year forward turned heads last year, when he put up 20 points in 31 games as a rookie, adding another nine points and providing a dangerous offensive threat in the post-season.

The native of Irma, Alta. will join the Nanooks for the 2014-15 season.

“I’ve been talking to (UAF head coach) Dallas [Ferguson] for a few years now – he knows my strengths and he knows my weaknesses” Firkus says.  “He’s just going to put me in there and let me do my thing.  He’s not going to try and change me too much.”

Firkus also says he’s been hearing positive things from former West Kelowna teammates Shawn Hochhausen and Marcus Basara, both of whom have just arrived in Fairbanks for their freshman season of Div. I hockey.

“We’d like congratulate Ambrose and his family on this accomplishment” says Warriors head Coach /GM Rylan Ferster, adding “He’s an outstanding young player.”

 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: