CALGARY, Alberta (November 4, 2013) – The Spruce Grove Saints went undefeated this week and move up to #6 in the Top 20. Brooks and Okotoks stumbled this week, each losing a couple of games, while AJHL teams like the Drumheller Dragons, Calgary Mustangs and the Canmore Eagles are starting to play a lot better recently.
In the BCHL, the Powell River Kings drop three spots to #5 after splitting a pair of games with a hot Nanaimo Clippers team. The Langley Rivermen had a solid week with two wins and enter the rankings this week as an Honourable Mention.
Kindersley and Melville are neck and neck in the SJHL. The Klippers move up to #7 on the strength of a 3-1 week, while the Millionaires move up to #17 after winning 2 games. The Estevan Bruins and the Nipawin Hawks are starting to get some serious attention with their strong play of late. In the MJHL, the Steinbach Pistons stay on top of the overall standings and move up to #2 this week. Selkirk and Portage are making it interesting, and the Virden Oil Capitals and Winnipeg Blues are playing much better of late.
The Fort Frances Lakers rolled through the week and the Thunder Bay North Stars remain in the mix with more than several games in hand in the SIJHL.
In the NOJHL, the Soo Thunderbirds remain the class of the league, but the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners are only eight points behind the Soo with four games in hand.
The Buffalo Jr. Sabres are dominating the OJHL’s West Division. They went 3-0 this week and move up six spots to #9. The Wellington Dukes and Toronto Lakeshore Patriots come it at #12 and #16, respectively, as they continue their strong play. The Kingston Voyageurs are right on Wellington's heels in the East Division, where only six points separates the top from the bottom.
In the CCHL, the Carleton Place Canadiens move up two spots to #10, and are widening their lead atop the Robinson Division. In the Yzerman Division, Ottawa, Nepean and the Pembroke Lumber Kings are tied for top spot.
Les Cougars de Sherbrooke have found their mojo again as they leap back into top spot in the LHJAAAQ. Les Montagnards de Sainte-Agathe garner an Honourable Mention after two decisive victories this weekend.
In the MHL, Yarmouth dropped to #11 after a tough week that saw them lose both of their games. The Pictou County Weeks Crushers have entered the Top 20 rankings at #19 after winning two games this week and six in a row. The Dieppe Commandos and Truro Bearcats are coming alive and continued fine play will merit consideration over the next few weeks.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
2. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (3)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (4)
4. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (5)
5. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (2)
6. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (7)
7. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (8)
8. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (6)
9. Buffalo Jr. Sabres (OJHL) (15)
10. Carleton Place Canadiens (CCHL) (12)
11. Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners (MHL) (9)
12. Wellington Dukes (OJHL) (11)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (HM)
15. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (HM)
16. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (NR)
17. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (18)
18. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (14)
19. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (NR)
20. Les Cougars de Sherbrooke (LHJAAAQ) (NR)
(Nathan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Game 23 Live Blog: Merrimack at Northeastern
2 hours ago