CALGARY, Alberta – Congratulations to the City of Lloydminster, the Lloydminster Bobcats and the AJHL for their role in a tremendous Hockey Day in Canada this past weekend. While the Bobcats were shutting out the Sherwood Park Crusaders, the Spruce Grove Saints and Fort McMurray Oil Barons kept to their winning ways atop the AJHL standings.
In the BCHL, Victoria and Powell River faced off for top spot in the BCHL and the Kings came out on top, while the West Kelowna Warriors and Merritt Centennials have started to get hot at the right time as playoffs approach.
In the SJHL, the Melville Millionaires have stumbled slightly and been caught in the standings by the Kindersley Klippers who are on a nine-game winning streak.
In the MJHL, the Selkirk Steelers’ own 16-game winning streak has them surging past the Steinbach Pistons.
The Fort Frances Lakers are seven points up on the Thunder Bay North Stars for top spot in the SIJHL, while the Minnesota Iron Rangers are pushing both teams.
In the NOJHL, the Soo Thunderbirds remain in first place with an 11 point lead over the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners. However, the Gold Miners have three games in-hand, which if they win them all, puts them right in the mix for top spot in the league.
The Kingston Voyageurs of the OJHL remain on top of the standings in the OJHL, but have virtually no wiggle room ahead of the red-hot Aurora Tigers and Toronto Lakeshore Patriots.
The Carleton Place Canadians are running away with the overall lead in the CCHL, while the Smiths Falls Bears are still staying ahead of the Pembroke Lumber Kings and Nepean Raiders for second spot overall in the CCHL.
Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome move up one spot this week after two wins and hold onto a seven point lead ahead of the Granby Inouk for top spot in the LHJAAAQ.
In the MHL, the Weeks Crushers remain on top after a tough week, but five other teams – the Truro Bearcats, Amherst Ramblers, Yarmouth Jr. ‘A’ Mariners, Miramichi Timberwolves and Dieppe Commandos – are all within two points of each other and the Crushers for the overall lead in the MHL.
Top 20 Rankings:
1. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
2. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (2)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
4. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (5)
5. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (4)
6. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
7. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
8. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (14)
9. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (10)
10. Victoria Grizzlies (BCHL) (8)
11. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (12)
12. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (15)
13. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
14. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (11)
15. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (16)
16. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (HM)
17. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (HM)
18. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (HM)
19. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (20)
20. Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL) (19)
(Nathan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
January 23 postgame notes
1 hour ago