CALGARY, Alberta – The Fort McMurray Oil Barons return to the top of the CJHL Rankings this week following successful outings, and a few slips by the Spruce Grove Saints. The AJHL’s South Division continues to tighten as more teams move closer to the Brooks Bandits. Meanwhile in the BCHL, the Langley Rivermen – who were the first BCHL team to clinch a playoff spot several weeks ago - have moved into top spot overall and have seen some slippage by Powell River and Victoria as the games become even more important for all teams in the BCHL playoff hunt.
In the SJHL, the Melville Millionaires are rolling again, while the Kindersley Klippers had a rough week. The Battlefords North Stars remain on a hot streak and will be a force to be reckoned with in the SJHL playoffs. In the MJHL, the Selkirk Steelers 18-game winning streak has them firmly atop the overall standings in Manitoba.
The Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL are on a staggering 19-game winning streak, while the Fort Frances Lakers of the SIJHL skipped past their closest team in the standings, the Thunder Bay North Stars, on Saturday night.
The Kingston Voyageurs of the OJHL remain atop the standings in the OJHL, but wicked winter weather played havoc this past week with the OJHL schedule. The Carleton Place Canadians continue to dominate in the CCHL, but the Smiths Falls Bears are remaining ahead of the Pembroke Lumber Kings and Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators for second spot overall in the CCHL.
Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome and their current 15-game winning streak have them running away with the top spot in the LHJAAAQ. In the Maritimes, an epic battle is shaping up as the Truro Bearcats and the Dieppe Commandos now sit atop the Eastlink Division and the Roger Meek Division respectively in the MHL. Six teams are within five points of each other for the overall league lead.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (2)
2. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (3)
3. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (4)
4. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (5)
5. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (1)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
7. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (9)
8. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (6)
9. Melville Millionaires (SJHL) (14)
10. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (18)
11. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (NR)
12. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (16)
13. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (11)
14. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (13)
15. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (8)
16. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (12)
17. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (19)
18. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (15)
19. Truro Bearcats (MHL) (17)
20. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: West Kelowna Warriors (BCHL), Battlefords North Stars (SJHL), Dauphin Kings (MJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
(Nathan can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org)
December 7: Bus Texts with Stothers
2 hours ago