CALGARY, Alberta (February 3, 2014) – As February kicks off, all 10 leagues in the CJHL see exciting playoff races developing. The jockeying will be intense, and the games over the next few weeks will be brilliant.
In the BCHL, changes abound as the Powell River Kings have found their game again and the Langley Rivermen hold firm on their lead in the Mainland Division. Penticton was swept in a home and home against the Salmon Arm Silverbacks who are in a wild race for the last playoff spot in the Interior Division.
The AJHL is tightening up as the Spruce Grove Saints and Fort McMurray Oil Barons battle every night for top spot overall, while the Brooks Bandits are being hotly pursued by the Drumheller Dragons in the AJHL’s South Division.
In the SJHL, the Yorkton Terriers have also found their winning ways, while the Kindersley Klippers and the Battlefords North Stars remain forces to be reckoned with when the SJHL playoffs open.
In the MJHL, the Selkirk Steelers remain firmly atop the overall standings in Manitoba, while this season’s Crescent Point Energy Western Canada Cup host, the Dauphin Kings, have been on fire lately and have soared to the top of the standings in the MJHL’s Sher-Wood Division.
Meanwhile, the Soo Thunderbirds of the NOJHL are on a staggering 22-game winning streak, which has them at the top of this week's national rankings.
In the SIJHL, the Fort Frances Lakers continue to steamroll their rivals.
The Aurora Tigers of the OJHL have climbed to the top of the overall standings in the OJHL with 33 regulation wins, but five teams are within four points of the league leader.
In the CCHL, the Carleton Place Canadians continue to roll with a commanding 16-point lead over the second place Smiths Falls Bears and a 23-point lead over the third place Ottawa Senators.
Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome had their 16-game winning streak ended by Les Maroons de Lachine, but still hold a comfortable lead in the LHJAAAQ.
In the MHL, the playoff battle is intense with the Weeks Crushers and the Miramichi Timberwolves jumping into the divisional leads this week.
Top 20 Rankings
1. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (2)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (5)
3. Fort McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL) (1)
4. Selkirk Steelers (MJHL) (3)
5. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (4)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
7. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (18)
8. Powell River Kings (BCHL) (15)
9. Kingston Voyageurs (OJHL) (7)
10. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (12)
11. Langley Rivermen (BCHL) (10)
12. Dauphin Kings (MJHL) (HM)
13. Yorkton Terriers (SJHL) (NR)
14. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (HM)
15. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (14)
16. Thunder Bay North Stars (SIJHL) (13)
17. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (16)
18. Les Pantheres de Saint Jerome (LHJAAAQ) (17)
19. Weeks Crushers (MHL) (NR)
20. Miramichi Timberwolves (MHL) (NR)
Honourable Mention: Prince George Spruce Kings (BCHL), Drumheller Dragons (AJHL), Portage Terriers (MJHL), Toronto Lakeshore Patriots (OJHL), Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)
(Nathan can be reached at email@example.com)