Friday, September 30, 2011

Jacks defenseman Pomarico commits to Army

Press Release

Muskegon, Mich. – Muskegon Lumberjacks defenseman Christian Pomarico committed to play hockey for the United States Military Academy on Wednesday.

In doing so, the blueliner from Simsbury, Conn., not only secured the next step of his hockey career, but also fulfilled his childhood dream.

“Ever since I was young, I’ve wanted to serve in the military,” Pomarico said. “Both of my grandfathers served, and I’m very proud. This is very important to my family.”

Pomarico will move to West Point in fall 2012. He got an opportunity to impress Army Assistant Coach Trevor Large with his performance at the United States Hockey League Fall Classic last week. On Tuesday morning, he received a call and an offer from Army Head Coach Brian Riley.

“I had a good weekend,” Pomarico said. “They liked the way I played and I couldn’t be more grateful that they offered me a spot.”

The Fall Classic is the most intensely scouted event in the world, and is taken in by hundreds of NCAA and NHL personnel.

Pomarico consulted his parents and Jacks Head Coach Kevin Patrick for advice before committing and admits that a weight has been lifted from his shoulders.

“It’s a big relief,” Pomarico said “I came into the season not entirely sure of what options I’d have. I had a lot of faith in Coach Patrick and the coaching staff here to get me where I wanted to be.”

The Jacks already have a connection to the academy, as former Jacks athletic trainer Jason Rule is in his first season in that same role at West Point.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: