Tuesday, September 4, 2012

SPITFIRES ADD SCHOENMAKERS

Press Release

General Manager Warren Rychel announced today the club has acquired forward Derek Schoenmakers from the Sudbury Wolves.

In exchange, Sudbury gets London's 3rd round pick in 2013 and Sarnia's 2nd round pick in 2016.

“We like the addition of Derek to our team,” Rychel said. “He makes our top-six forward group very competitive. He is an excellent two-way forward that will give us lots of grit on the right wing.”

Schoenmakers, 20, scored 26 goals and added 24 assists with 119 penalty minutes in 70 games with the Wolves and Mississauga St. Michael's Majors in 2011-2012.

He was dealt to Sudbury back in January, in the deal that saw sniper Kristoff Kontos head to the Majors.

In 150 career Ontario Hockey League games, Schoenmakers has 39 goals, 36 assists and a +11 rating with 205 penalty minutes.

"I'm excited to get down there and get going," Schoenmakers said in a phone interview from Sudbury. "I know Kerby from playing with him in Mississauga and I know Warren a bit. The biggest thing is you hear nothing but good things about the Spits. So I'm excited for sure."

At 6'1 and 195, Schoenmakers is a guy that likes to bang bodies and create havoc in the offensive zone.

"Ya for sure, I like to play the body - a gritty game. And I like to be a shooter, to help out a little bit on offense, without sacrificing defence."

In addition, Schoenmakers will be counted on for leadership and a steadying force on a club that is still pretty young, especiall up front.

"Wherever they want me to play and whatever they want me to do, I'm good with. It's still a pretty young club but one that I think is going to be much better this year. Lots of speed and skill."

"I'm just going to try to come in, get to know the guys and contribute."

Schoenmakers will report to the Spitfires later this week and will be available for Sunday's game in Sarnia.

(Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: