Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Amarillo Bulls Hire New Director of Scouting

Press Release

AMARILLO, TX - The 2011 defending South Division Champions, Amarillo Bulls, announced today that they have named Jay Laing as Director of Scouting.

As the Director of Scouting, Laing will keep track of the Amarillo Bulls' scouting staff as well as the prospective players.

"I am very excited to have Jay join our staff," said Bulls Head Coach Dennis Williams. "I have known Jay for nine years and he is a tremendous person with great character and displays the same passion and vision for Bulls hockey as does our organization."

"I am thrilled at this opportunity," Laing said. "I had the chance to work with the staff last year in the scouting area for the first time. I really enjoyed it a lot and got a chance to see things come together. I am looking forward to developing my roll with the team."

Laing, who served as a member of the Bulls Scouting Staff during the Inaugural 2010-2011 season, is presently an Assistant Coach of the Lansing Capitals' Midget AAA team of the Greater Lansing Area Hockey Association. He is also a Certified Level 4 coach under the USA Hockey Coaching Education Program.

He also spent three years as the Associate Head Coach/Assistant General Manager of the Grand Rapids Owls of the Central States Hockey League. Laing also played four years at Utica College, a Division III school located in Utica, NY.

"We are very fortunate to have a great hockey guy with a great eye for not only talent, but hard workers and players whom have the inner drive to succeed and want to move to the next level," Williams added. "Jay is going to be a great addition to the Bulls' family."

Laing said he believes he can bring several different areas of expertise to the Amarillo Bulls. "I was a player, I've coached and now I am a scout," he explained. "I captained several of the former teams I was with, and I can add that piece of looking at things through a player's eyes. I know what will work and won't, and I can help find the right players for Amarillo."

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: