Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rivermen rookie forward Vela seals NCAA future with Wildcats

Press Release

The Langley Rivermen announced Thursday that Marcus Vela has committed to play college hockey in 2016 with the University of New Hampshire Wildcats. Vela is a native of Burnaby, British Columbia so he’ll be continuing his career far away from home but he’s excited about the opportunity,

“I feel it’s the best fit for me and I am really excited to be there,” said Vela. “I felt really comfortable with UNH, I went out to the Chowder Cup last year in Boston and I fell in love with the east coast.”

The 6-foot-2, 190-pounder is currently in his first season with the Rivermen after finishing off his Midget career with the Burnaby Bulldogs Midget A2 team last year. He scored 80 points (25 goals, 55 assists) in just 30 games.

With the future determined, Vela can now focus on his time with the Rivermen.

“That was my goal at the start of the season to get the commitment early,” said Vela. “It’s a big weight lifted off my shoulders and now I can set new goals for this season and stay on task with the Rivermen.”

The Rivermen are already off to a good start this season with a 3-1-0-1 record and Vela wants to continue making a difference in the team’s success.

“Hopefully I can get a few points and be an impact player each game and play little roles,” said Vela. 


 (Nathan can be reached at nathanfournier@mainehockeyjournal.com)

No comments: